New York State Announces Major Investments in Niagara Falls Park System and Tourism Attractions
Albany, New York, December 15, 2023 – Today, Governor Kathy Hochul announced a series of transformative projects and investments to enhance the Niagara Falls Park system and boost tourism in the region. The proposed improvements and new features are set to elevate the visitor experience, create economic opportunities, and further establish Niagara Falls as a premier global destination.
The Governor, alongside Mayor Robert Restaino and other key stakeholders, highlighted the significant progress and upcoming developments that will shape the future of Niagara Falls. The focus of these initiatives is to revitalize the park system, create new attractions, and provide a compelling experience for both locals and visitors.
Transformative Projects and Investments
Park System Enhancements
- Over the past ten years, the state has invested over $150 million in the Niagara Falls State Park, with ongoing commitments to enhance its infrastructure and offerings further.
- Notable investments include the Cave of the Winds, the Maid of the Mist, and the state-of-the-art Welcome Center, which have significantly contributed to the park’s appeal and visitor experience.
New Tourism Attractions
- A $5 million investment has been secured for the Niagara Gorge Discovery Center project, a partnership between the Aquarium of Niagara and New York State Parks. This project will highlight the notable wildlife of the river and the larger ecosystem, providing an educational experience for visitors from around the world.
- The Niagara Falls Heritage Gateway projects, with a $12 million investment, will include a multi-use pavilion and event space at DeFranco Park, an interpretive park at the Cataract House Hotel Historic Site, and a pocket park on Buffalo Avenue and First Street. These projects aim to create a better sense of community and provide opportunities for outdoor activities and historical exploration.
Tourism and Economic Development
- The Governor emphasized the importance of creating year-round attractions to support the local hospitality industry and provide full-time employment opportunities. The expansion of the Aquarium of Niagara, along with the removal of the Robert Moses Parkway, will contribute to a more substantial and engaging destination for the community.
Governor’s Commitment to Niagara Falls
Governor Kathy Hochul expressed her unwavering commitment to the revitalization and growth of Niagara Falls, acknowledging the city’s extraordinary past and its potential for a phenomenal future. She emphasized the need to amplify the beauty of the area and provide compelling reasons for visitors to stay longer and explore the diverse offerings beyond the falls.
A Path Towards the Future
The proposed improvements and investments in the Niagara Falls Park system and tourism attractions underscore the state’s dedication to preserving the natural wonder of the falls while creating a vibrant and inclusive destination for all. With these transformative projects, New York State aims to elevate the visitor experience, drive economic growth, and solidify Niagara Falls as a world-class tourism destination.
For more information and updates on the developments in the Niagara Falls Park system and tourism attractions, please visit New York State Parks.
This press release focuses on the relevant facts and figures regarding the proposed improvements to the Niagara Falls Park system and features being added for tourism, excluding additional information not relevant to Niagara Falls development and tourism. If you require any further details or adjustments, please let me know.